Our living room is the most important part of our home where we spend quality time with our family. It’s the area where you spend your comfortable evenings and lazy afternoons. With that in mind, having a comfortable yet stylish sofa that matches your surroundings is very important. If you really want to spruce up your living space, you should consider the right sofa fabric.
There are thousands of materials on the market that we can use as sofa fabrics. However, choosing the one that suits your requirements can be challenging. Obviously, no one wants to change sofa fabrics frequently as it creates hassle and can be expensive too. So, it is advisable to know about the use of the sofa before choosing the fabric. If you are going to place it in a sitting room, then opt for the sofa fabric that is durable and easy to wash. However, for guest rooms, you can choose fancy sofa fabrics such as velvet.
Now that you’ve chosen the right sofa fabric, the next thing you’ll need to think about is its cleaning. Every fabric requires different cleaning techniques. In this guide, we’ll shed some light on how to clean different sofa fabrics. So, let’s get started.
The First Step For All Sofas
Before applying cleaning techniques, read the care label of every type of sofa to determine what mixture you can and cannot apply to it.
How To Clean A Microfiber Sofa Fabric
- Start by vacuuming your microfiber sofa to remove all dirt and dust.
- Prepare a natural cleaner in a spray bottle by mixing 2 cups of warm water and a tablespoon of natural dish soap.
- Apply the mixture on stained parts and then blot them using a clean, dry cloth.
How To Clean A Wool Sofa Fabric
- Vacuum the wool sofa using a dry natural-bristle brush
- After that, gently scrub the damp cloth in a circular motion to remove the dust and dirt particles. Never apply any solution on your wool sofa otherwise it would become damaged.
How To Clean A Linen Sofa Fabric
- Vacuum your linen sofa.
- For spot cleaning, blot the stain using a damp cloth but do not scrub or rub.
- For thorough cleaning, hand-wash or machine-wash linen sofa fabric at a warm temperature using a mild detergent.
How To Clean A Silk Sofa Fabric
- Vacuum your silk sofa.
- Prepare a solution by mixing a tablespoon of mild laundry detergent and 2 cups of cold water. You can also make a solution of vinegar and water.
- Dip a cloth in a prepared solution and blot at stained parts followed by drying.
How To Clean A Velvet Sofa Fabric
- One of the best ways to keep your velvet sofa fabric clean is to steam-clean it regularly. If you don’t have a steamer at home, prepare a solution by mixing a cup of warm water and a teaspoon of natural dish soap.
- Apply the solution to the fabric using a microfiber cloth.
- Blot the stain lightly until it’s gone.
- Let it dry clean for half an hour.
Different types of sofa fabrics require different cleaning techniques. All you need is to know the basic information regarding each fabric type.